To: TEAM-IFPTE Local 161 Members
From: TEAM Office
Date: April 29, 2020
Re: New and Noteworthy
We hope that you all are coping well during this new reality we are currently living through. Even though we are working remotely, our office continues to provide support to members on their individual issues as well as issues that may impact larger numbers of members in the future if left unchecked. If you wish to discuss a concern with a representative from TEAM, please don’t hesitate to call (204-984-9470) or email (email@example.com). Here are some current newsworthy items to take note of:
- Last chance to bank: Tomorrow, April 30th is the last chance to bank vacation days. Subject to the total maximum of 50 banked days, members can bank up to 10 days of vacation and/or banked overtime carried over from 2019, and all vacation days that accrued between May 1 and December 31, 2019.
Members have asked what would happen to the accrued days that are not put into the bank: The letter of understanding Banking of Vacation/Vacation Overtime Credits explains this in bullet point 8, and can be read in full here. In short, if the days are not used by December 31, 2022 they will be lost/forfeited. Members who depart the Company with unused vacation days will have those days paid out, or may be directed by their manager to take the time off prior to their final day of employment (Article 22.05.1).
Note: TEAM members’ vacation days are paid out at 100% of their value.
- Retirement and Financial Planning Seminars: During the pandemic, we are moving the seminars online where members and, where applicable, their partners too, will be able to attend the live event from the comfort of their own home and have their questions answered in real-time. The seminars will run mid-week in the evenings during May and will be presented by Darryl Robinson. The initial sessions will be the same content as last year's seminars, with subsequent sessions on specific topics about which members have expressed interest. Further information and invitations to follow.
- Annual TEAM Take-a-Break BBQs: Unfortunately, it is unlikely that these events, which we typically hold in June, will take place this side of summer. If and when we run the events this year will be determined by the guidance provided by health officials and the Manitoba government.
- IFPTE Scholarship deadline extended: Due to the pandemic, the deadline for submitting applications for the Dominick D. Critelli, Jr. Annual Scholarship has been extended once again. The deadline is now May 15, 2020. Details of the scholarships, eligibility criteria and application form can be found here.
- DB Pension Plan commuted values: Members who plan to retire from the Company in the coming months with the intention of withdrawing their funds from the Defined Benefit Pension Plan, should be aware that such withdrawals have been temporarily put on-hold by the pension regulator (OSFI) due to the effects of the pandemic on jobs and pension plan assets. In order for the funds to be withdrawn during this freeze, Bell is required to make a submission to the regulator seeking consent. You can read more about the freeze in Benefits Canada, and on the OSFI website here. OFSI has not provided a date for when this freeze will end.
TEAM-IFPTE Local 161
204-984-9470 or 1-877-984-9470