To: TEAM-IFPTE Local 161 Members
From: TEAM Office
Date: September 6, 2018
Re: New and Noteworthy
- Voluntary Departure Program and Layoff: Bell’s Manitoba June/July downsizing initiative concluded this week with one member being informed they are going to be laid off, albeit not until mid-December. TEAM staff and legal counsel are investigating and reviewing the member’s options. Twenty-two members applied for a VRTIP package, of which four were approved. A number of employees in the targeted positions are being reassigned to other work.
- Negotiations Survey: Thank you to the over two hundred members who have responded to the survey so far. In the 50+ pages of comments already compiled there are a number of significant and concerning patterns developing. So as not to taint the results, we will wait until after the survey closes before sharing a summary of the results. If you haven’t already participated in the survey, please consider doing so, as the more we learn about the current working conditions, the more we can focus our efforts on addressing what is important to you.
- IFPTE Scholarship Winner: For the third year in a row, the child or a grandchild of a TEAM member has been awarded an IFPTE Dominick D. Critelli, Jr. scholarship. Christed Julian Moreno, the child of TEAM member Edmundo Moreno, will receive $2,500 USD towards his university education. You can read Christed’s essay “What Being a Member of a Union Family Means to Me” here.
- TEAM Scholarship Reminder: Applications for a TEAM Scholarship for members and the children of members are still being accepted. The closing date is September 14th. Click here for more details.
- IFPTE News: 100 years young this year!. That’s how long the IFPTE has been actively representing professionals and highly skilled workers. At the IFPTE centenary Convention in Atlantic City, TEAM’s President, Misty Hughes-Newman was re-elected to one of two VP executive positions representing Canada. Changes at the top include the retirement of Greg Junemann, IFPTE President of 24 years, succeeded via election by Paul Shearon, the IFPTE’s new President, and Matt Biggs was elected to the position of Secretary-Treasurer. Paul and Matt have visited Winnipeg numerous times to assist TEAM during negotiations and when lobbying government.
- Save the Date - TEAM AGM: The venues for TEAM’s 2018 AGM meetings in Winnipeg have been booked as follows (Brandon TBD):
October 30 - Corydon/Osborne Area - Masonic Memorial Centre
October 31 - Downtown Winnipeg - Fairmont Hotel
Topics for the meeting will include the results of the survey, contract negotiations, the financial report, and a Q&A. Lunch will be provided, and this year we’ll be using points from TEAM’s credit cards to pay for door prizes.
TEAM-IFPTE Local 161
204-984-9470 or 1-877-984-9470