Terms of Reference
March 3, 2009
The Communications Committee is a standing Committee responsible for
1. Update the Communication Action Network to include all members and increase membership coverage by 10% annually.
2. Oversee the CAN which includes membership home email utilizing the CAR network.
3. a. Establish quarterly
b. Distribute the newsletter to members via email or through the
c. Publish the newsletter on the
4. Maintain, modify, update and expand information provided to the
5. Administer the guidelines/process for the Media release template.
6. Establish line of communication with affiliates such as: CEP, IBEW, IFPTE, MFL, and The Society.
7. Provide articles for IFPTE Outlook.
8. Work as liaison with various committees to convey information to and from the membership.
9. Responsible for distributing all communication media for internal and external customers.
The Committee shall:
· Have the authority to carry out all of its listed duties;
· Have the authority to select a Chair;
· Have the authority to present communiqués to the Board for approval;
· Have a budget of $3,000 for costs associated to media releases. Internally and externally.
· Have the authority to consult legal council prior to communiqués releases.
1. Meetings will be held at the
2. Meetings during working hours shall be by release, meetings outside normal working hours shall be volunteer time.
3. The Chair will set the agenda with input from the Committee and ensure that meetings are scheduled.
4. Consensus will be the decision-making process.
5. Minutes to be taken by an assigned scribe (this role may alternate among Committee members).
6. Refreshments can be purchased for the meeting in an amount not exceeding $20 per month.
7. Lunch will be provided for day-long meetings.
8. Expenses will be reimbursed based on
1. Reports will be delivered electronically to the Executive Director two weeks prior to each Board meeting for inclusion in the Board pre-meeting package.
2. Report production is mandatory. Reporting deadlines are negotiable if delays are unavoidable.
1. At a minimum:
· One Board member;
· One staff member i.e. the Executive Director or as appointed by the ED.
2. The Committee shall be limited to, but not exceeding, 5 members.
3. Any member in good standing of
4. A Subject Matter Expert may be invited to attend Committee meetings, should the Committee deem this to be necessary, provided any costs are within the authorized budget.
5. All members of the Committee are subject to Board approval.
6. Quorum requires at least 50% of the Committee be present in order to conduct the meeting. The Committee will only meet without quorum when exceptional circumstances exist (i.e. illness, bad weather, bereavement, etc.)
2. Opinions and recommendations from legal counsel available through the Executive Director.
1. The Chair will be accountable to the Board for the Committee.
2. The Committee shall maintain meeting minutes.
3. All deliberations of the Committee, and all records, material and information pertaining to