To: TEAM-IFPTE Local 161 Members
From: TEAM Office
Date: April 2, 2020
Re: Updating TEAM Member Skills Profiles
Several members have contacted the office regarding the Company's request for TEAM members to update their skills profiles as part of Bell’s COVID-19 contingency planning. Below, we answer some commonly asked questions:
- Do I have to complete the form/survey? We consulted with TEAM’s legal counsel, and the answer is yes. Bell is within its rights to request this information to aid in contingency planning for the pandemic.
- Will my information be used for any other purpose? We contacted the Company and received assurance that the information is strictly for the purpose of business continuity planning.
- Who will the information be shared with? The information is being compiled within the Bell Business Continuity Group and would be shared with the various Business Units as required, should skills need to be assessed in relation to redeploying resources.
- Will my information be passed along to Manulife? No.
- Can I be directed to do the work of another union? In extreme circumstances, this is a possibility, but it should only happen as a last resort. The other unions will rightly demand that their members are assigned the work first, including increasing their hours.
- Can I refuse to do unsafe work or work in an area that is not safe: The short answer is yes, under Part II of the Canada Labour Code, employees have the right to refuse dangerous work; however, we recommend consulting with TEAM before you do so, as we can alert the Company to the concern and assist in seeking remedial action to ensure your safety.
TEAM-IFPTE Local 161
204-984-9470 or 1-877-984-9470